Monday 10 March 2008

In The Night

"I lie alone, the clock strikes three
And anyone who wanted to could contact me
At dead of night, till break of day
Endless thoughts and questions keep me awake
Its much too late"
Pet Shop Boys - Jealousy

Everytime I hear my mobile ring
I am brought back to that night...

It was half past two and the world
abed except for those whose job it
is to keep the rest of us afloat.

When I picked Jealousy by PSB, i thought
it would arrest me, be a ring tone
so camp I would smile whenever it called.

And so, from my sleep, I hear it
downstairs, on charge, breaking the night.

Good news snores but the bad is always
awake.I know, even before I press green,
what the voice is waiting to say,
as if I have been waiting for this,
without ever knowing, moment of loss.

I put it to my ear and the phone's
crescendo ends and everything begins
differently.

"I never knew time passed so slow"
Pet Shop Boys - Jealousy

No comments: